- The Institute collaborates in professional, financing, quality assurance and educational tasks in the paediatric health care system. As a background institute for the health government it offers professional advice and support.
- On the basis of current scientific knowledge and data of children’s health status and health care it elaborates proposals to develop a health care system that meets children’s need, it takes part in preparing, publishing and enforcing methodological guidelines and expert opinions, as well as it participates in the implementation of new methods in training and modernizing child health services in order to improve the quality of health care system.
- The Institute handles prominently the prevention activity of child health care, the prevention of diseases determining the current public health status and the development of prevention methods and practices from the preconceptional stage to the end of the childhood.
- Its professional tasks include the support of family and institutional care influencing somatic and mental health of children.
- The National Institute of Child Health fulfils its duties with respect to the environmental and socio-cultural factors determining the health of children, carries out its activity with social-paediatric attitude cooperating with other professions, institutes of similar profile and organizations working in the field of children’s protection.